Opened in 1927 as "The Worlds Smallest Public Railway" the Romney
Hythe & Dymchurch was a triumph of miniature engineering. One third
full size locomotives based on the powerful expesss engines of
Great Britain and North America hauled trains of coaches at high
speeds across the level terrain of Kent's historic Romney Marsh .
The railway was built by Captain J. E. P. Howey and Count Louis Zborowski to
serve the local population and tourist trade, it stretches for nearly 14 miles
from Hythe through Dymchurch , St Marys Bay ,its base at New Romney ,Romney Sands
and then to the fishermens cottages and lighthouses at Dungeness . It is still
a major tourist attraction and well worth a visit.
Click here for the Official RHDR site
During the war the Army requisitioned the line and Dymchurch station became the
Commanding Officer's base. The line was patrolled by an armoured train which was
based near Dymchurch .
It is still an excellent day out, especially on a warm summer's day.
For opening times and train timetables please phone