Area Village Index
Peasmarsh

Ninfield
go back to the Previous Page

 

 
Advertising Rates - Free Business Listing
Our Whats On
Guides to the Area
Suggested Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
Hotels
Book your Hotel
VillageNet-i
HouseSales
Businesses(1)
Accomodation(1)
Amenities(84)

Other Pages
Local Attractions
History of the area
Reference to unusual objects
Famous People
Walks in our Area
Our Recipe Pages
 
VillageNet
Kent & Sussex Village name Derivation
For the villages and towns that VillageNet covers in Kent and East Sussex
these pages shows the origination or derivation of the place names.

Dallington -to- Fairwarp
Dallington Dallington is one of those Saxon fortified hill villages probably settled by Haesta after 475AD .

The name is derived from Dael(dividing) ington(fortified village on a hill) so becomes 'The dividing village on the hill' probably meaning the border of the kingdom.

The place names ending in ington or ingham appear to be the second Saxon settlements after the (ing,inge or ings) and appear to be fortified villages either on a hill(ington) or in river valley(ingham)

Danehill The name is derived from the Anglo Saxon denbera, meaning a large clearing in the forest, or a swine pasture, It was originally called Denne and became Denhill in the fourteen hundreds, and Danehill in the seventeen hundreds.

Denton Another village name derived from the Anglo Saxon Dene tun(Dene a valley and tun - a homestead). It was first recorded as Denton in 801AD.

Dichling This village is a Saxon village one of the first to be settled by Aelle around 477AD.

Ditchling is derived from Dic(mound) el(people) ing(fort or stronghold) so it translates to the Mound peoples Fort. Initially it was probably just Dicing meaning Mound Fort as most of these ings were initially strategic defensive positions. The initial village location would have been on the top of the Downs at Dichling Beacon, but the village was moved lower down the hills once the area was controlled as the fertility of the fields lower down was significantly better for growing crops than those at the top of the downs.

The place names ending in ing,inge or ings were usually found on higher ground, or in places which control strategic points, and appear to surround areas first settled by the Saxons.

Dungeness Dungeness is an Anglo Saxon name taken from Dung Mersc (Smelly marsh) and is the naess (foreland) protecting the marsh. As the Sea Level was a great deal higher than today, this would have been a slow moving salt marsh with lots of rotting vegetation providing the smell.

Dymchurch It is believed that Dymchurch is an old name probably Anglo Saxon for the judges church or the burial place that judgement is given possibly an execution site. The name derives from deman(judgement) and ciric(a burial ground). In 1100 it appears as Deman circe.

East Blatchington East Blatchington is derived from the Anglo Saxon Blaecca ing tun (The Black family farmstead). There is a West Blatchington near Shorham.

East Chiltington eastchiltington

East Dean Eastdean is an old Anglo Saxon name meaning the East Valley possibly showing the Eastern extent of Aelle's initial settlements. Alfred the Great had a manor nearby in West Dean called Dene (the valley). It is recorded in the Domesday book of 1086 as Esdene.

East Guldeford East Guldeford was until the 1400's either underwater or marshland. In 1480 Sir Richard Guildford from Guildford payed for the inning (reclamation) of an area of 1500 acres of the marsh. He rented the land from Robertsbridge Abbey for 12 shillings per year. The name is derived from Guildford and East was to note that it was not Guildford .

East Hoathly East Hoathly is derived from the Anglo Saxon haoe leagh (haoe is heather and leagh meaning a clearing in the forest) hence heather covered clearing. It became Hodlegh, Hothlegh then Esthothleigh finally East Hoathly.

East Peckham East Peckham is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Peac hamme (the village on the hill) In the Domesday book of 1086 it was known as Pecheham, and in the Textus Roffensis of 1125 Pecham.

Edenbridge Edenbridge is first recorded as Eadelmesbregge in the twelfth century.. It seems to be derived from the Anglo Saxon Ea denu brycg (River valley bridge)

Eridge Green Eridge is derived from the Medieval Ern ridge (Eagle ridge) presumably where eagles nested. It is recorded as Ernerigg in the early thirteenth century, then Weregge and finally Eridge.

Etchingham Etchingham is one of those Saxon fortified valley villages settled by Haesta around 475AD .

The name is probably derived from either Ac(oak) or Waecg(metal) and ingham(fortified village in a valley) so becomes either 'The Metal fortified village in the valley' or 'The Oak fortified village in the valley', this could be either as this location would have been deep in the forest of Andredsweald and much iron had been exported from here by the Romans for nearby Stonegate .

The place names ending in ington or ingham appear to be the second Saxon settlements after the (ing,inge or ings) and appear to be fortified villages either on a hill(ington) or in river valley(ingham)

Ewhurst Green Ewhurst Green's name comes from the Anglo Saxon Iw hyrst (Yew Wood). In the Domesday book it is known as Werste then later as Ywehurst.

Exceat It is believed that the name Exceat came from the Saxon meaning the land of the Aese (the first kings of Kent).
An extract of the Nothgyth Quest whose author David Slaughter proposes the following :- [the writer also believes that Exceat is more likely to have been Exes Geat (said with one dipthong as 'exes yeat'), meaning Gate of the Exe. Hence the Cuckmere could have been Afon Isc(a) to the Romano-Britons, with the femine ending -a already dropped in the Old Welsh speech of the area before the destruction of Pevensey in 491.]

Fairfield Fairfield is derived from the Medieval fair and field (Field in which the market takes place).

Fairlight Fairlight is believed to derive from the Anglo Saxon 'Fern Leagh' meaning 'Bracken Clearing', however it is also possible for the name to have derived from Pharos Light(Pharos a Roman word meaning lighthouse) The village has also been known as Farleg, Farleia, Fernlega, Farleigh, Fayrleigh and Farnleigh.

Fairwarp Fayre Wharp is first mentioned in 1519 in relation to the Wealden Iron Industry. possibly derived from Wearp (twigs used in basket making), with the Medieval Fayre which was a licenced market from the 12th century.


Top of Page © VillageNet.co.uk 1998-2017
If you have any information, or comments on our site,
 please E-Mail info@villagenet.co.uk
since 1998

 
Buy or Sell your property here Why not advertise your event for free
Local Businesses
Richard Vobes
Ella Clarke
Tenderheart
Battle Brewery
Advertise in this space
format is a picture
200 x 150 pixels
With a link to your Website or Email address
for details Pricing Here
Simon The Pi Man bookstore