Area Village Index
Kenardington

Hurst Green
go back to the Previous Page

 

 
Advertising Rates - Free Business Listing
Our Whats On
Guides to the Area
Suggested Guides to the Area
Where to Stay
Bed & Breakfast
Hotels
Book your Hotel
VillageNet-i
HouseSales
Businesses(1)
Accomodation(1)
Amenities(84)

Other Pages
Local Attractions
History of the area
Reference to unusual objects
Famous People
Walks in our Area
Our Recipe Pages
 
VillageNet
Kent & Sussex Village name Derivation
For the villages and towns that VillageNet covers in Kent and East Sussex
these pages shows the origination or derivation of the place names.

Hooe -to- Laughton
Hooe The name Hooe is derived from the Anglo Saxon hoh(Spur of Land), and describes the area exactly. Since Saxon times, the Sea Level has dropped, and Hooe is now about 2 miles inland from the sea. The sea used to wash around Hooe, on both sides, up the Ashbourne valley, and also on the Cooden side.

Horam Horam is derived from the Anglo Saxon horas hamme(filthy village) or possibly horweg hamme (out of the way village). In the tenth century it was recorded as Horham, and over the years has changed to Horam.

Horsmonden Horsmonden is another village derived from the Anglo Saxon hors bunda denne (the Horse farmer valley). The first record of the village was Horsbundenne, from around the turn of the twelfth century.

Hurst Green Hurst Green is an Anglo Saxon name hyrst grene (meaning green wood)

Hurstpierpoint hurstpierpoint

Icklesham Icklesham is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Iclingas Ham (the homstead of the Iclas family) The first record of Icklesham was in 772, when it appeared as 'Icoleshamme', in a land charter signed by Offa, the King of Mercia. In early days it dominated the River Brede in the valley to the north, and was undoubtably a prime target to the Normans in 1066 , when they landed.

Ide Hill Ide Hill is possibly derived from the Anglo Saxon Ides Hyll (Ladies Hill) . and is first recorded in 1250 as Edythehelle.

Iden It is believed that Iden is derived from the Anglo Saxon Iw dene (large clearing in the forest, or a swine pasture surrounded by Yew trees)

Iford iford

Ightham Ightham is probbably derived from the Anglo Saxon Ehata ham (The highest settlement), or possibly Ehta ham (The eighth settlement) but this is less likely. It is first recorded appears as Ehteham in the Textus Roffensis around 1125.

Isfield Isfield is possibly derived from the Anglo Saxon Ysel feld(field of ashes), or maybe Ys feld(Eating field), the latter is favourite as Barcombe (Beer camp) is nearby.

Ivychurch Ivychurch is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Ifig cirice (The burial ground where the ivy grows). Its first recorded form was Iuecirce in the Monasterium Hederosum from the eleventh century.

Jevington The name is derived from Geofon(The sea) ington(fortified village on a hill) so becomes 'The fortified village on the hill near the sea', originally these ingtons were located at the top of the hills as defensive positions but moved lower down into the more productive lowlands once the area was under Saxon control.
It was probably settled very soon after the Saxon landings by Aelle the Saxon in the early 500's AD. By the late twelfth century it had become Govingeton, then Gevyngton in the thirteenth century then Jevingtone and finally Jevington.

The place names ending in ington or ingham appear to be the second Saxon settlements after the (ing,inge or ings) and appear to be fortified villages either on a hill(ington) or in river valley(ingham)

Kenardington The name Kenardington , also known as Kenardton, is of Anglo-Saxon origin, it is derived from the personal name Cyneward, or Cyneard.

The suffix 'ing' refers to the family, and ton is a homestead or a farm. Kenardington therefore translates as 'The home of the Kinard family'. When the first Cyneard lived is not known, but the adding of 'ing' and 'ton' started around the late 7th century, and was common in the 8th and 9th centuries.

Keymer keymer

Kilndown The name is Medieval and is derived from the charcoal kilns and the ridge(down) it lies on. The village supplied charcoal for the iron furnace at nearby Bedgebury Estate.

Kingston kingston

Lamberhurst Lamberhurst is derived from the Anglo Saxon Lambra hurst (The wooded hill where the lambs are found). It first appears on record as Lamburherste around 1100.

Langton Green Langton Green is probably derived from the late Saxon period Lang tun(The long settlement).

Laughton Laughton is derived from the Anglo Saxon Leac tun (The herb settlement). The village has been known by a number of names from Lestone in the Domesday Book , Lacton , Leghton , Layghton and now Laughton .


Top of Page © VillageNet.co.uk 1998-2017
If you have any information, or comments on our site,
 please E-Mail info@villagenet.co.uk
since 1998

 
Buy or Sell your property here Why not advertise your event for free
Local Businesses
Ella Clarke
Tenderheart
Richard Vobes
Battle Brewery
Advertise in this space
format is a picture
200 x 150 pixels
With a link to your Website or Email address
for details Pricing Here
Simon The Pi Man bookstore