Battle in East Sussex

Google map showing area surrounding Battle
(William the Conqueror prevails)
Location: 50.917405,0.483679
General Details
Battle East Sussex - View West up the High StreetThe Romans were based around Battle in East Sussex at Beauport from 43AD until 400AD. Here they built a bathhouse to provide the troops guarding the Iron Workings ( bloomeries ) in the area with recreational facilities.

Battle was founded on the site of the Battle of Hastings in 1066 , whose name comes from the Rape of Haestingas (one of the six major divisions of the land of the South Saxons) in which the Battle was fought. Hastings was the nearest small town and a fishing port at this time, though larger than other settlements in the area. The town was originally known as La Bataillage which was built up around Battle Abbey which was constructed between 1070-1094 by William the Conqueror , as a penance ordered by the pope for the loss of life occurring in the battle, and in earlier raids in the surrounding area designed to draw Harold into conflict. (See Whatlington , Salehurst and Mountfield ) King William II stayed at Hastings Castle in 1095 while he waited for favourable seas to take him to France, during this time he visited the newly formed Abbey at Battle .

As the town grew, the Abbot in 1115 built the church, for the people of "Battel" a village which had grown up around the Abbey.

1264 saw Henry III and his army stop at Battle on their way to their defeat by Simon de Montfort at Lewes.

The abbey gatehouse was built in 1338 as a protection from a possible French Invasion. To the side of these gates stands the Pilgrims Rest, now a tea room/restaurant, the current building was erected in 1420, on the site of a 12th century building.

The Benedictine Abbey became famous, and until the dissolution by Henry VIII in 1538, the hub of a wide sphere of influence.

The Abbey was given to Sir Anthony Browne who was Henry's Master of the Horses, and was lived in and used as a private estate until 1976 when it was purchased for the nation by the government. It is now in the care of English Heritage, and is a major tourist attraction, as the battlefield and abbey can be visited. The main building is a private school, but can be visited during school holidays.

The area in front of the Abbey gates, is known as the Abbey green, which was used for bull-baiting, a once popular pastime, it is now a gravelled amenities area. In the 17th century, Battle was the centre for the gunpowder industry, located in the surrounding villages. The famous Battel Bonfire Boyes celebrate the gunpowder plot in November, it is possible that the gunpowder used by Guy Fawkes came from this area.

This small town is the heart of the Sussex Bonfire Societies , who provide noisy processions, unbelievable outfits and fantastic firework displays throughout the month of November - a spectacle not to be missed.
Battle Sussex - The Abbey GatesThere are a number of picturesque views in Battle in East Sussex. Walk down the High Street from the north end of town near the roundabout and in front of you is the old green, now a car park, and behind that the Abbey Gates.

From the gates of Battle Abbey walk south past the Pilgrims Rest, until you reach the gate to the field, turn right, and a small footpath takes you back to the north of the town.

Along this path, facing south you can see the rolling East Sussex landscape. The 1066 Country Walk runs through the town.
Battle East Sussex - Battle windmillBattle in East Sussex has many shops, and is a centre for the local villages. The main London to Hastings railway stops in the town with half hourly services taking about 1 hour and 20 minutes to London.

It is a major stopping route for buses that service the local area.

The nearest large town is Hastings about 3 miles South which provides a major shopping centre, and many Supermarkets.

Car parking is either behind the high street or just off the main Battle roundabout, Battle Abbey has its own car park.
Battle is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Village= Town= Recorded in Domesday=
Ashburnham (Last Iron Furnace in Sussex)
4.05 miles
Bodle Street (White Horse on the roof)6.19 miles
Boreham Street (Picturesque village on top of the Ridge)5.83 miles
Brede (Edward I inspects the Channel Fleet)5.14 miles
Brightling (famous for Mad Jack Fuller)
4.92 miles
Broad Oak Brede (On the Crossroads)5.47 miles
Catsfield (Iron, Railways and Clocks)
1.96 miles
Cripps Corner (Home Guard surprises the Army)3.68 miles
Crowhurst (Village devastated by the Normans)
2.52 miles
Dallington (Custers Last Stand!)
5.89 miles
Guestling (Changing guards at Buckingham Palace)
6.54 miles
Hastings East Cliff (Beautiful Views and peaceful Walks)6.71 miles
Hastings Ore (Iron and the Turnpike)6.38 miles
Hooe (The Haunt of Smugglers)
4.81 miles
Mountfield (17th Century Coal !!)
2.71 miles
Netherfield (Village at the top of the Hill)
2.82 miles
Ninfield (Last of the Iron Stocks)
3.36 miles
Penhurst (Beautiful yet Remote)
3.28 miles
Sedlescombe (Best gunpowder in Europe)
2.48 miles
Staplecross (Mothers grudge hangs son)4.53 miles
Wartling (World War II defence centre)
6.92 miles
Westfield (Bonfire Boys under suspicion)
3.97 miles
Whatlington (King Harold's Manor)
1.81 miles
Windmill Hill (Largest Post Mill in Sussex)6.62 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2024
Local Businesses
Hastings Rock the place to listen to
The Bald Explorer for local documentaries
World War 2 Vehicle database
The Rudes as lots of people call us, are an outdoor touring theatre company specialising in taking new & original theatre to mainly small rural communities and a few towns across the South of England. We were founded in 1998 & first toured in the Summer of 1999. Currently we tour only in the summer performing 50+ times nightly during June, July & August.
Battle Brewery our local excellent micro brewery
Talk in Code fabulous new Album
Roman, Saxon and Norman History of the South East
For all things mosaic, commissions workshops etc please contact Hannah