Hailsham in East Sussex

Google map showing area surrounding Hailsham
(Ropes and Napoleon)
Location: 50.864612,0.255234
General Details
St Marys church (Hailsham East Sussex)The Domesday book records that William holds 2 hides from the Count of Mortain, that the land supports 6 ploughs, and 5 villeins. There were also 17 salt workings nearby. This area was badly affected by the Norman invasion, and was valued at 125 shillings before 1066 and 50 after.

In 1252, Henry III granted the right to hold a market. Some of the tolls taken during the Hundred Years War with France were used to pay for the garrison at Pevensey. This market continued until 1639, when it was discontinued, but re-started in the late 1700's. The market changed its focus to livestock and it is known that welsh farmers brought their cattle for selling at Hailsham in East Sussex.

The numbers of livestock in Hailsham together with the number of local oak trees(tannin from the bark is used in the process) provided tanners and leather workers with a great deal of wealth The population increased to the 300 mark by the mid 1600's but increased significantly from about 1000 in the early 1800's to 3500 by the 1890's. This was mostly due to the manufacture of rope which was started in 1780 by Thomas Burfield . The term rope walk comes from the spinning process used in rope manufacture, where by Spinners would walk down a straight path letting out hemp, which was spun by wheelboys turning a wheel.

In 1803 Hailsham Barracks were built to quarter troops intended to man the Martello towers which defend the Pevensey area from Napoleon. The Barracks were closed after the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo in 1815.

During the 1800's a wide range of rope related goods were manufactured in the vicinity, including Hop Pockets for the brewing industry, cloths, twine, mill sails and whip cord, and ropes for the navy.

One example of the work of Jonathan Harmer of Heathfield can be found in the churchyard, a large stone chest type grave with a terracotta plaque attached. This example of his craft comes from the early 1800's.

In 1849 a branch train line was built from Polegate to Hailsham, then extended on to Eridge via Heathfield in the 1880's, and was known as the Cuckoo Line from the legend . The line was closed in 1965, and is now the Cuckoo Trail , a footpath and bridleway running from Polegate to Heathfield .

Hailsham also used to produce Sussex Trugs, now only manufactured at nearby Herstmonceux .
The High Street has a natural charm, and if you walk down from the northern part of the town, the church, especially on a bright sunny day stands out in front of you.

If you carry on into the churchyard, carry on through, and turn left, then walk down Marshfoot Lane, you can see many views across the Pevensey Levels.
Hailsham in East Sussex is one of those small towns with a wide range of shops, and is the centre for many villages surrounding. The High Street is the main shopping area, with the precincts of Vicarage Field, and Quintins providing additional shops attached to the High Street.

Hailsham has its own Leisure Centre, the Lagoon with a swimming pool, and other facilities.

Major supermarkets are to be found in Eastbourne about 5 miles south. The nearest trains run from Westham to Hastings and Brighton .
Hailsham is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Village= Town= Recorded in Domesday=
Alciston (Fifty thousand tiles on the Barn)
5.78 miles
Alfriston (Smuggling and Ghosts)
5.85 miles
Arlington (Peaceful Saxon Village)
3.04 miles
Ashburnham (Last Iron Furnace in Sussex)
6.76 miles
Berwick (Sharpen your arrows on the Church)
5.34 miles
Bodle Street (White Horse on the roof)5.14 miles
Boreham Street (Picturesque village on top of the Ridge)4.98 miles
Chalvington (The miniature church)
4.18 miles
Chiddingly (Walking on Cheese ??)
3.96 miles
Folkington (Teasles and Badgers)
4.05 miles
Hellingly (Only remaining Ciric in Sussex)1.71 miles
Herstmonceux (Castle and Observatory)
3.41 miles
Hooe (The Haunt of Smugglers)
6.56 miles
Laughton (Knight captures King of France)
5.79 miles
Normans Bay (Last Invasion in 1066)6.67 miles
Pevensey (Ancient Roman Fortification)
4.79 miles
Pevensey Bay (Fishing and Martello Towers)
5.06 miles
Polegate (Fine old Tower Mill)2.87 miles
Ripe (Earl Harolds estate)
4.92 miles
Selmeston (Tomb to store the Contraband)
5.07 miles
Wartling (World War II defence centre)
4.37 miles
Westham (Enclosure for the Castle)4.54 miles
Wilmington (The Long Man)
4.28 miles
Windmill Hill (Largest Post Mill in Sussex)4.04 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2024
Local Interest
Just click an image
For all things mosaic, commissions workshops etc please contact Hannah
The Rudes as lots of people call us, are an outdoor touring theatre company specialising in taking new & original theatre to mainly small rural communities and a few towns across the South of England. We were founded in 1998 & first toured in the Summer of 1999. Currently we tour only in the summer performing 50+ times nightly during June, July & August.
Ninfield History Group
Wealden Iron Research Group
Hastings Rock the place to listen to
Battle and District Historical Society
Battle Museum of Local History
(Hard to find but worth the Visit)
World War 2 Vehicle database
The Bald Explorer for local documentaries
Wadhurst History Society
Roman, Saxon and Norman History of the South East